Wednesday, November 4, 2009

I don’t know whether to curse the internet or to praise the internet. There is a plethora of information on Fibromyalgia to read. Part of me is thrilled to see that most of the symptoms that I have are normal to Fibro. First is the memory loss. They, people, call this “Fibro-Fog”. Really; this is the truth. Here are the symptoms of “Fibro-Fog”:

• Mental confusion
• Fuzzy thinking
• Short-term memory loss
• Inability to concentrate or pay attention
• Language lapses

Those sound like fun, right? To be honest, I don’t know what they mean by “language lapses”, but other than that, I have every one of those symptoms. It ain’t fun. At all. There is nothing like feeling inadequate in typical, easy, everyday conversations.

There is debate over what causes fibro-fog. There is debate over what causes Fibromyalgia in general. Most physicians can agree on one thing, though. They agree that with Fibromyalgia comes regular fatigue. Fibro patients normally lack sufficient restorative sleep. Not getting enough restorative sleep impairs a person’s capability to recall information and function at a regular level of mental effectiveness.

In every article I read about Fibro-fog, it reiterates that this is “not a psychological condition”. I think they do that to constantly reassure us that we are not crazy. And, when you are experiencing this fog, you do feel like it is a psychological condition. You feel psycho. Crazy. Helpless. Stupid. People with the “Fog” tell me to take notes, keep journals, keep a good sense of humor and to be patient. This doesn’t help my memory, but maybe it will help my peace of mind. I have a sense of humor, it is just a dry sense of humor. So, if I am taking pot shots at myself for forgetting to take my keys out of the ignition of my car... I am laughing inside.

On a good note - yesterday was a great day. And, I think today is shaping up to be that same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment